Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Independence with Irreverence

It’s been a few years that I have been following Sex And The City, on TV and the movies. I also follow it’s Facebook page. I may find Carrie, Samantha, Miranda & Charlotte needy at times but then by the time those needs are met you realise you never needed it to begin with. Just the same way as definitions for certain things changes. Being single used to mean that nobody wanted you. Now it means you’re pretty, sexy and you’re taking your time deciding how you want your life to be and who you want to spend it with (Carrie Bradshaw – Sex And The City)

Very recently I turned a year older and I realised that EVERYONE around me was either getting engaged or married or having babies. Well, my heartiest congratulations to them but does that mean I would join the queue? No! For many, their marriages define them. For me, well I guess I should define it, makes sense doesn’t it? I mean if I am the one getting married then shouldn’t I decide when it should be? If it is that important a decision then shouldn’t I be all the more careful about it?

That is the thing with people and relationships. There are those that open you up to something new and exotic, those that are old and familiar, those that bring up lots of questions, those that bring you somewhere unexpected, those that bring you far from where you started, and those that bring you back. But the most exciting, challenging and significant relationship is the one you have with yourself. And if you can find someone to love the you you love, well that’s fabulous (Well again, Carrie Bradshaw – Sex And The City)

I am happy with my job, with the friends I have, with the space and independence I have. I am happy that my parents think that I am responsible enough to lead and maintain a certain kind of lifestyle in a big bad city like Bombay. The truth is, at any given moment someone somewhere could be making a face about you but it’s the reviews you give yourself that matter (This Carrie Bradshaw gets all the good lines in Sex And The City it seems!)

No comments:

Post a Comment